Applesauce Cinnamon Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine brown sugar and remaining cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 139 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Mar 14, 2014
This is a great bread. A cross between a bread & a cake. I'm a recipe follower the first try and would not change anything. I covered the bread with plastic wrap and the top got mushy after a few days. Does anyone have a tip for storing this bread?
Aug 16, 2013
This was very tasty and had good flavor. The applesauce made it moist.
Feb 28, 2013
Excellent taste and texture. I will be placing this recipe in my favorite's recipe collection.
Nov 20, 2012
I didn't love this recipe. Not too fond of the nutmeg, I'd say- not expecting that flavor in a cinnamon bread. Not too sure about the brown sugar in the topping, either.
Feb 5, 2012
Anyone have ideas on how to convert this to a muffin recipe? I love the loaf but muffins are portable for the kids' lunches so I am curious how I could convert thisThanks much
Jan 26, 2012
The cake is delicious, it does not reveal its lower fat ingredients at all! A moist, apple- ful cake with a tender crumb. The topping, although simple, really elevates it. When I've been out of whole wheat flour, I have used all white with still excellent results. Everyone I've given this to has enjoyed it.Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I will try flavoured applesauces next for variety.
Dec 13, 2011
These are very tasty!
Sep 5, 2011
This is an excellent recipe for a lower fat version. It had great texture and great flavor. I used 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in the batter. I loved the brown sugar/cinnamon topping. This baked so nicely. It is going in my keeper file for sure!
Oct 16, 2010
This bread has a wonderful moist texture, especially considering that it's on the lower side for fat and sugar. The top part of the loaf is especially good with the topping. My family all enjoys this bread, and it's part of my regular rotation.
Jun 17, 2010
moist and delicious, tastes decadent even though its healthier, I added 2 tbsp flax seed to recipe, upped nutritional but taste and texture were wonderful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.