Applesauce Cinnamon Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Combine brown sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled loaf in foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 142 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Oct 27, 2018
very tasty. Next time i will add a bit more cinnamon just to give it an extra punch of flavour. will definitely be making this again.
Mar 14, 2014
This is a great bread. A cross between a bread & a cake. I'm a recipe follower the first try and would not change anything. I covered the bread with plastic wrap and the top got mushy after a few days. Does anyone have a tip for storing this bread?
Aug 16, 2013
This was very tasty and had good flavor. The applesauce made it moist.
Feb 28, 2013
Excellent taste and texture. I will be placing this recipe in my favorite's recipe collection.
Nov 20, 2012
I didn't love this recipe. Not too fond of the nutmeg, I'd say- not expecting that flavor in a cinnamon bread. Not too sure about the brown sugar in the topping, either.
Feb 5, 2012
Anyone have ideas on how to convert this to a muffin recipe? I love the loaf but muffins are portable for the kids' lunches so I am curious how I could convert thisThanks much
Jan 26, 2012
The cake is delicious, it does not reveal its lower fat ingredients at all! A moist, apple- ful cake with a tender crumb. The topping, although simple, really elevates it. When I've been out of whole wheat flour, I have used all white with still excellent results. Everyone I've given this to has enjoyed it.Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I will try flavoured applesauces next for variety.
Dec 13, 2011
These are very tasty!
Sep 5, 2011
This is an excellent recipe for a lower fat version. It had great texture and great flavor. I used 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in the batter. I loved the brown sugar/cinnamon topping. This baked so nicely. It is going in my keeper file for sure!
Oct 16, 2010
This bread has a wonderful moist texture, especially considering that it's on the lower side for fat and sugar. The top part of the loaf is especially good with the topping. My family all enjoys this bread, and it's part of my regular rotation.