Applesauce Cinnamon Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Combine brown sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled loaf in foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 142 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 22, 2019
A really great fall bread! I actually used 2 cups of wheat flour and it still came out amazing.
Oct 27, 2018
very tasty. Next time i will add a bit more cinnamon just to give it an extra punch of flavour. will definitely be making this again.
Mar 14, 2014
This is a great bread. A cross between a bread & a cake. I'm a recipe follower the first try and would not change anything. I covered the bread with plastic wrap and the top got mushy after a few days. Does anyone have a tip for storing this bread?
Aug 16, 2013
This was very tasty and had good flavor. The applesauce made it moist.
Feb 28, 2013
Excellent taste and texture. I will be placing this recipe in my favorite's recipe collection.
Nov 20, 2012
I didn't love this recipe. Not too fond of the nutmeg, I'd say- not expecting that flavor in a cinnamon bread. Not too sure about the brown sugar in the topping, either.
Feb 5, 2012
Anyone have ideas on how to convert this to a muffin recipe? I love the loaf but muffins are portable for the kids' lunches so I am curious how I could convert thisThanks much
Jan 26, 2012
The cake is delicious, it does not reveal its lower fat ingredients at all! A moist, apple- ful cake with a tender crumb. The topping, although simple, really elevates it. When I've been out of whole wheat flour, I have used all white with still excellent results. Everyone I've given this to has enjoyed it.Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I will try flavoured applesauces next for variety.
Dec 13, 2011
These are very tasty!
Sep 5, 2011
This is an excellent recipe for a lower fat version. It had great texture and great flavor. I used 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in the batter. I loved the brown sugar/cinnamon topping. This baked so nicely. It is going in my keeper file for sure!