Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- In large bowl, combine the crumbs, egg, onion, salt and oregano; crumble the meat over the top. Mix gently. Stir in 3/4 cup tomato sauce; set aside. Cut two pieces of waxed paper 15-in. long. Place meat mixture in center of one rectangle; cover with second rectangle.
- With a rolling pin, press meat into a 13x9-in. rectangle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. Sprinkle meat with cheese and mushrooms; top with remaining tomato sauce. Roll up meat, jelly-roll style, starting at narrow end; use waxed paper to help. Place meat seam side down; seal ends securely. Place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Drain; bake 30 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 190 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
May 4, 2011
It turned out really well, but I might add some more ground beef and maybe some more tomato sauce.
Jan 24, 2011
This meat Loaf had good flavor but was to mushy for our family.
Jan 13, 2011
Lots of flavor but stayed a bit runny even with the draining which made it hard to get out. Add extra meat and it works better. Over all this is the best reciept for my family and meatloaf.
Oct 19, 2010
Try making with one pound ground beef and one-half pound ground veal. Very good.
Sep 11, 2010
This is a great recipe. We make this often and kids love it. To make this even easier use a jar of spaghetti sauce. We also use extra cheese.
Apr 16, 2010
It should be renamed Meatloaf Parmigiana! I added some fresh basil on the mozzarella. It also took a lot longer than 1 hour to cook.Plan on baking it longer.Nice combination of flavors!