Apple Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground allspice
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the apple, bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper and allspice. Stir in onion. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 6x5-in. loaf.
- Place in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 259 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Nov 17, 2017
My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe! The apple added an unexpected, but nice hint of sweetness and made for a very moist meat loaf. I added 1/8 tsp. of allspice instead of a dash, and a 1/2 tsp. of my homegrown dried thyme. In addition to being delicious, it was the perfect size for the two of us and I will definitely be making this again!
Nov 28, 2015
I used ground turkey instead of beef. The meatloaf turned out light and very moist; however, next time I would add some herbs or spices to make it a bit more flavorful.
Jun 24, 2014
This recipe just didn't do it for husband an myself. We thought it was way too bland and wouldn't make it again.
May 24, 2014
Delicious & moist, a nice change from standard meatloaf. Will make again!
Apr 10, 2014
I am not usually a fan of meat loaf, but this recipe is excellent. I have made it several times and it is always moist and delicious.
Sep 9, 2012
Forgot to mention ~~ also the fact that it has only 12g carbs appeals to my ADA dietary restrictions.
Sep 9, 2012
This meat loaf sounds very delicious. My husband is not keen on meat loaf (it was a growin' up thing). The size of this meatloaf is very appealing since we're empty nesters.
Jun 6, 2012
My husband and I were very pleased with this recipe. Will make again.
Jan 6, 2011
This turned out to be soooo good! I love it! My husband wants my piece too. haha
Aug 31, 2009
Can applesauce be substatuted for the gaated apple?