Swiss Cheese Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 bacon strip, cut into thirds
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 8 crackers)
- 5 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked but not crisp. Drain on a paper towel; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, crackers, 4 tablespoons cheese, onion, garlic, salt, sage and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pan. Place bacon pieces over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 2-4 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1/4 pound: 420 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Oct 25, 2009
This is a really good meatloaf and I liked the Swiss cheese, it made it different. I used 3 strips of bacon and it was wonderful.
Dec 8, 2008
I substituted cheddar cheese for the swiss, as that's what I had on hand and turned out great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.