Swiss Cheese Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 bacon strip, cut into thirds
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 8 crackers)
- 5 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked but not crisp. Drain on a paper towel; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, crackers, 4 tablespoons cheese, onion, garlic, salt, sage and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pan. Place bacon pieces over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 2-4 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1/4 pound: 420 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 25, 2009
This is a really good meatloaf and I liked the Swiss cheese, it made it different. I used 3 strips of bacon and it was wonderful.
Dec 8, 2008
I substituted cheddar cheese for the swiss, as that's what I had on hand and turned out great.