Italian Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, optional
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, combine the egg, half of the tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion and green pepper if desired, 1/2 teaspoon of oregano, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix well.
- On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat meat mixture into a 14x8-in. rectangle. Sprinkle cheeses to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Transfer to a microwave-safe glass 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 9 minutes, rotating a half turn once; drain. Continue cooking on 50% power for 14-16 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, rotating a half turn once. In a bowl, combine the remaining tomato sauce and oregano. Pour over meat loaf. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with an 850-watt microwave.
This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 315 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Jul 28, 2012
This was such a great change from traditional meatloaf! I was initially skeptical about using the microwave but the meatloaf came together great. The melted cheese in the middle of each slice was definitely the best part.
Dec 16, 2011
I made this omitting the green pepper and adding some finely chopped garlic. What a wonderful meat loaf! Yummy!! Thanks so much for the recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.