Italian Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, optional
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, combine the egg, half of the tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion and green pepper if desired, 1/2 teaspoon of oregano, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix well.
- On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat meat mixture into a 14x8-in. rectangle. Sprinkle cheeses to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Transfer to a microwave-safe glass 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 9 minutes, rotating a half turn once; drain. Continue cooking on 50% power for 14-16 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, rotating a half turn once. In a bowl, combine the remaining tomato sauce and oregano. Pour over meat loaf. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 315 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 28, 2012
This was such a great change from traditional meatloaf! I was initially skeptical about using the microwave but the meatloaf came together great. The melted cheese in the middle of each slice was definitely the best part.
Dec 16, 2011
I made this omitting the green pepper and adding some finely chopped garlic. What a wonderful meat loaf! Yummy!! Thanks so much for the recipe!