Mozzarella Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup saltine cracker crumbs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (8 ounce) pizza sauce
- 3 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, halved
- Green pepper rings, optional
- Sliced mushrooms, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Mix beef, eggs, crumbs, milk, Parmesan cheese, onion, salt and oregano. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until no pink remains; drain.
- Spoon pizza sauce over loaf and top with mozzarella cheese slices. return to oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, if desired, saute green pepper and mushrooms in butter; arrange on top of meat loaf. Sprinkle with parsley if desire.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 258 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 700mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Jun 24, 2017
This is the first meatloaf out of TOH that I fell in love with. The combination of flavors here cannot be beat!!
May 31, 2017
Great weeknight dinner! I used panko crumbs instead of crushed saltines and marinara sauce instead of pizza sauce because that's what I had on hand. For the meat mixture, I used 1/2 cup of milk, along with 1/2 cup of marinara sauce and cut back on the salt. I also spooned the marinara sauce over the meatloaf at the beginning of baking time. Family loved it! Will definitely make again!
Mar 31, 2017
This recipe is wonderful,I made it with Italisn sausage and venison
Feb 10, 2014
I made this for the first time about 5 yrs ago. I thought it was the BEST meatloaf in the world!
Aug 30, 2013
I love this recipe BUT I changed it to make it better. It ALWAYS disappears! Use 1 pound of beef and 1 pound of Country Pork Sausage. Leave out the salt (unless you feel that you really need it). Instead of saltine crackers, use Ritz Crackers. It is so moist and has a really good flavor.
Jun 9, 2013
I liked this recipe, it was yummy there are only a couple things I would change/add. I loved the sauce and cheese on top I think if you added some of the sauce in your original mixing it would give it and even yummier flavor! I would put only one egg in there if you go with adding more sauce. If you are a garlic person you could also add some of that in mix as well. All around though I good recipe, and easy to follow. Next time I think I will try some of that deliciousness that was suggested on the top too!
Dec 29, 2011
I never liked meat loaf as a kid and now when I make this recipe my kids love it. I use ground venison instead of beef and italian bread crumbs for the crackers. After it is done we slice it and put the sauce and cheese on the individual slices. (That way if you have a traditionalist they can still do the ketchup) Very good.
Sep 7, 2011
This is my go-to meatloaf recipe. I have been making it for several years now, ever since I found the recipe in a Taste of Home booklet in the magazine rack at the grocery store. I don't change a thing with the recipe. Several family members and friends have asked for the recipe as well and I gladly share!
Aug 16, 2011
This recipe was very easy to prepare and it was loaded with flavor. Instead of real onion, I used 1 tsp minced onion and did not include the bell peppers or mushrooms. Since I didn't have sliced mozzarella, I sprinkled shredded on top. It was great
Mar 16, 2010
This was an excellect recipe. Very tasty and easy to make. Even my daughter who does not enjoy meatloaf, loved it .