Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 8 ounces plain or Mexican process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add soup, garlic salt, salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the top third off the bread. Hollow out bottom half of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread butter on cut side of bread. Place loaf on an ungreased baking sheet and broil 4-in. from the heat until lightly browned.
- Spoon beef mixture into shell; arrange cheese slices on top. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Replace bread top.
1 each: 399 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1135mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.