I love to make this mile-high breakfast sandwich when we have company for the weekend. If you like, add sliced mushrooms and olives. —Amy McCuan, Oakley, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 6 ounces sliced deli ham, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together eggs, salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from heat.
- Cut one-fourth off top of bread loaf. Hollow out both parts, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Place a fourth of the ham in bread bottom; top with half of each of the cheeses. Layer with red pepper, scrambled eggs, tomato and the remaining cheeses and ham. Press layers gently; replace bread top. Wrap tightly in foil.
- Bake until heated through, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 439 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 230mg cholesterol, 1083mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Breakfast Loaf in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.