Grilled Meat Loaf
Grilled Meat Loaf is the perfect summertime twist on a comforting family favorite. Shape the meat into loaves and “bake” them on a grill. Ketchup brushed over the meat lends a little sweetness to each slice. —Catherine Carpenter, Barnesville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Grill: 50 min. + standing
Makes2 loaves (4 servings each)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Additional ketchup, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two loaves. Place a sheet of heavy-duty foil in center of grill. Place meat loaves on foil (do not seal foil).
- Prepare grill for indirect heat; grill meat, covered, over indirect medium heat for 50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Brush tops with additional ketchup if desired. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 219 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Meat Loaf in Taste of Home June/July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips