Mom’s Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 366 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 1092mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein.
Oct 1, 2018
Yummy! A simple and delicious meatloaf. Having fewer veggies in the recipe makes for a denser meatloaf. So it makes it easier to cut into slices for sandwiches.
Jul 11, 2018
I find best meatloaf is a combination of ground beef, pork, and veal.
Jun 10, 2018
I have made this a few times, although I always halve the recipe as there are only two of us eating it. It is a very nice meatloaf, being easy to make and very tasty. Today I used the ground veal that I got on sale at the store and it was just as tasty as the ground beef. I think you would use whatever ground meat you have on hand.
May 23, 2018
The best meatloaf I have ever had!
May 20, 2018
We love this recipe so much that we had it for a Christmas party. It was a big hit. Reqested recipe.
May 9, 2018
I use 2 lbs ground beef and 12 ozs of Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage. No brown sugar and 1 Chopped green pepper. Also, 1 can of evaporated milk and a whole sleeve of crackers. The sausage and green pepper takes it to another level. Still use the sage seasoning and one8 oz of tomato sauce instead of catsup. Use half in the meatloaf and half as the topping.
Apr 8, 2018
This is my favorite recipe but instead of the crackers I’ll use bread crumbs
Apr 4, 2018
I agree with Randall. I made it today and followed recipe exactly as said. Sorry, but this is the worst meatloaf I ever made. I landed up giving it to my cats!
Mar 26, 2018
The blending is great. The ketchup and brown sugar combo topping is like having candy for diner. I suggest using half a ketchup/Worcestershire in the blend and the rest as the topping . No brown sugar!!!!
Mar 25, 2018
I made this meatloaf today and it turned out awesome. I used chicken stock instead of milk, and added more saltine crackers (I used a whole sleeve). At the end of 60 minutes, I turned the oven off, opened the oven door and let it sit there for another hour. Meatloaf was juicy and delicious. I also used less brown sugar in the recipe.,
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.