Mom’s Beef Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups Daisy 4% cottage cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the water, tomato sauce and paste, soup mix, oregano, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1/2 cup meat sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles and a third of the cottage cheese, mozzarella, meat sauce and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 367 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 901mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Sep 9, 2015
It was ok. I would try a different recipe next time. I added the full envelope of onion soup mix; perhaps it would taste better with less.
Apr 11, 2015
This was very good, even better warmed up as leftovers. Didn't change a thing.
Dec 10, 2014
I wonder how much sodium is in a serving? Onion soup mix is very high in sodium as is cheese.
Feb 16, 2014
This is pretty good in my opinion. Everyone in the family loves it. It's my husband's request when he comes home from a week of travelling and craves home cooking.
Jan 12, 2014
This was delicious. I used buffalo meat, which worked out well. I, too, ran short of sauce, but just loaded up on the cheese and used one less layer of noodles and it did not seem to make a difference. My husband loved it. It is a very easy recipe to follow as well and does not take too long to make.
Sep 26, 2013
As a lasagne lover this one works perfectly for my family and for me. It's easy and tasty and freezes beautifully. Thanks for sharing!
Jan 9, 2012
I made this for my 2 boys and we all LOVED it!! This will definitely become part of our routine!! AMAZINGLY good!!
Oct 16, 2011
I found this recipe several years ago and have used it dozens of times. This is our favorite lasagna recipe.
Aug 29, 2011
Tried this recipe once almost a year ago & kept on using it ever since. Only problem was that I ran a little short on the sauce. Either way it's absolutely delicious & everyone who has tried it loved it!
Mar 26, 2011
I first found this recipe years ago in the magazine. It's been my lasagna recipe ever since. I have adapted it a bit for my personal tastes. I don't like cottage cheese, so I don't use it. Still it's such an excellent recipe.