My Mom’s Best Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix chili sauce and ketchup. In a large bowl, combine Rice Krispies, onion, green pepper, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; stir in half of the chili sauce mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Transfer beef mixture to an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Make a shallow indentation down center of loaf. Spread remaining chili sauce mixture over loaf, being sure to fill indentation.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; use a turkey baster to remove drippings every 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 299 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 3, 2018
Best meatloaf ever. Moist, tasty and the Rice Krispies are undetectable
Jan 25, 2018
Tasty, but we found it was a bit too crumbly when cut hot. I think I will leave the cheese out next time to cut back on the fat content and see if that helps as well.
Dec 16, 2017
This was 5 stars for my family. I thought the Rice Krispies odd but made recipe as given. This turned out so well! We really liked the flavor & I've made this 5 or 6 times since I first tried it in May 2017. This is a keeper.
Oct 22, 2017
This is one of the best meatloaf recipes I have found! My family loves it. It is also great for sandwiches.
Oct 21, 2017
This was good, but I use "grape nuts" which makes for a little more dense meatloaf but really yummy.
Sep 14, 2017
My husband and I agree, this is the best meatloaf recipe we have come across. He always gives me a big smile when I tell him that it's on the menu.
Sep 13, 2017
This and all meat loafs by my way of thinking, are good. Instead of rice Krisps my family always uses quick oats for the same reason -as a binder. We also add dry mustard and garlic powder to meat mixture
May 26, 2017
Made a pretty good tasting meatloaf. The Rice Krispies were a little odd, but you couldn't tell they were there. Not sure why they are even necessary. Maybe I'll try this with breadcrumbs and see if it turns out the same or better. We all liked it, but not the best meatloaf I've made. I really liked the chili sauce in this recipe.
Apr 19, 2017
Apr 10, 2017
This meat loaf is so tasty! Definitely worth making.- Theresa