Grilled Pizza Bread
These fun French bread pizzas are great picnic fare for both kids and adults. Tasty on the grill, they can just as easily be baked in the oven. —Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- Sliced pepperoni, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, salt and oregano; simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise and then widthwise. Spread meat mixture on cut side of bread; sprinkle with cheese, olives and pepperoni if desired.
- Loosely wrap bread individually in pieces of heavy-duty foil (about 24x18 in.); seal. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Cut each into fourths.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 159 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Pizza Bread in Quick Cooking January/February 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.