Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches
My daughter shared these hearty sandwiches with me, and I think they're a savory melt-in-your-mouth treat. The sweet-sour onions and mushrooms are perfect over the tender beef and lip-smacking garlic mayonnaise. —Ruth Lee of Troy, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 70 min.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (1 pound)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- ONION TOPPING:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Combine the first four ingredients; rub over meat. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic. Brush with oil.
- Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze garlic into food processor; add mayonnaise and yogurt. Process until smooth; chill.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil and saute onion for 5 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until onion is golden. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add next four ingredients; cook until reduced slightly
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 4 slices.
- Serve warm on bread with garlic mayonnaise, arugula and onion mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 418 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches in Light & Tasty February/March 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.