Peppered Meat Loaf
I came up with this easy dinner one day while experimenting in the kitchen. Everyone who tries it, loves it! —Laura Burgess, Mount Vernon, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound spicy bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cut three 25x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray. Top with potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, onion, tomato sauce, saltines, ketchup, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and seasoned pepper. Add beef and sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a loaf; transfer to slow cooker. Combine sauce ingredients; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted into meat loaf reads at least 160° and potatoes are tender, 6 to 6-1/2 hours. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece meat loaf with 1 potato wedge: 489 calories, 25g fat (9g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 951mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Peppered Meatloaf in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.