Pesto Meat loaf
This is one of my favorite meat loaf recipes. The salsa gives it just the right amount of tang, and if you grow basil, the pesto is a tasty way to use it.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- MEAT LOAF:
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Place pesto ingredients in the order listed in a food processor; cover and process on low speed until a paste forms.
- In a large bowl, combine the first six meat loaf ingredients; add pesto. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, draining off fat if necessary. Let stand in pan for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 344 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 336mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Pesto Meat Loaf in Country August/September 1997