Shortcut Oven-Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Brushing these with oil and baking them mimics the authentic crunch of a chimichanga. Our children love to have them when they get home late after school activities. —Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed, shredded (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place a 15x10x1-in. baking pan in the oven.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, rice, beans, chilies, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and pepper; cook until heated through. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Spoon 1 cup chicken mixture across bottom third of each tortilla. Fold bottom and sides of tortilla over filling and roll up. Brush preheated baking pan with some of the remaining oil. Place chimichangas seam side down; brush tortillas with oil. Bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes, turning halfway through baking. Serve with toppings
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 chimichanga: 704 calories, 31g fat (9g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 1081mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 41g protein.
Originally published as Oven Ready Crispy & Quick Chicken Chimichangas in Simple & Delicious August/September 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.