Pesto Chicken Pizza
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 each small green, sweet red and yellow peppers, julienned
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon oil, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the remaining flour; beat until combined.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion, peppers and mushrooms in remaining oil until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Punch dough down; roll into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a 14-in. pizza pan. Build up edges slightly. Spread with pesto. Top with chicken mixture and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browned. Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze unbaked pizza. To use, unwrap pizza; bake as directed, increasing time as necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 293 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 601mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Apr 16, 2016
Wonderful! I am a pizza lover esp homemade and love to cook. Everyone raved about it. If you haven't tried the Artisan Fresh pesto from SAMs Club, try it, like homemade. In refrigerator section by cheeses. Can freeze leftover sauce if needed.
Jul 22, 2015
I love chicken pizzas and this recipe was a winner! Although I always find homemade crusts to be labor-intensive, so sometimes I take a shortcut and get store-bought. Here is another really good chicken pizza recipe that I've made in the past: http://perdueyummersummer.com/recipes/easy-bbq-chicken-pizza/31/
Jul 19, 2015
Delicious! I didn't have mushrooms, & I added caramelized onions - fantastic!
Sep 9, 2013
This pizza is the bomb!! We love this pizza. I add yellow & green zucchini to mine.
Aug 29, 2013
My husband said it was the best pizza we've had!
Feb 2, 2013
Left off the mushrooms (didn't have any) and added some Montreal chicken seasoning to the chicken and veggies. Loved it! Pesto added an excellent flavor!
Dec 16, 2012
My family thought the flavors were pretty good but instead of slices of peppers they need to be diced and instead of cubed chicken maybe shredded. I think some of the flavors got lost due to to large of chicken and peppers
Aug 18, 2012
This was the best pizza I ever made.
Feb 20, 2012
It was not bad but little bit blind and the crust was dry and the edges are very hard.
Jan 5, 2012
Amazingly good! This is a keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.