- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the egg, mushrooms, oats, onion, flax and pepper. Crumble turkey and beef over mixture; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into a 10x4-in. loaf. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes; drain. Top with marinara sauce. Bake until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°, 10-15 minutes longer. If desired, top with Parmesan cheese.
1 piece: 261 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.