Meat Loaf with Chili Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours + standing
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional chili sauce, optional
- Cut four 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a 9-in. round loaf. Place loaf in center of strips in slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°. If desired, spoon additional chili sauce over meat loaf; let stand 10 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze leftover meat loaf slices in a greased 2-qt. shallow baking dish. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Reheat meat slices, covered, until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 253 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 686mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Sep 17, 2019
I used this recipe as a basis for my meatloaf but I had to change a few things because of family preferences. I didn't use chili sauce I used ketchup and milk instead. Half a cup of ketchup and 1/4 of a cup of milk. I increased the spices to half a teaspoon each and omitted the green pepper. Other than that I followed the recipe pretty much exactly and this meatloaf turned out so flavorful and moist it was amazing. It is the best recipe I have found in a long time. I highly recommend it and just it for your personal tastes.
Feb 4, 2018
This is a very good meatloaf. I changed the green pepper to a yellow pepper, but otherwise left the ingredients as they were. I did have some issues with this cooking in the slow cooker, so I ended up finishing it in the oven but that may be an issue with my slow cooker, I'm not sure. Either way, it was delicious and my family loved it.
Jan 23, 2018
1/4t oregano&same for basil? why not more for 2lbs of 90% lean beef I wonder. if I make&little flavor is the outcome but texture is still good that may be a good thing I suppose
Jul 26, 2017
I like to do a 50/50 meatloaf, with beef and pork tenderloin, and use Panko bread crumbs. NO KETCHUP, as you're eating basically the best parts of the beasts! But I do mine in the grill, with charcoal separators, as well as small foil, pierced packets of Mesquite chips. Comes out smokey good!
Nov 4, 2016
This is by far my favorite meatloaf recipe. I make it exactly as it is printed. BUT because there are only 2 of us, I divide it in half and bake it instead of using a slow cooker, and then freeze the rest for another meal. It's my husband's FAVORITE.!!!
Mar 8, 2015
I was initially skeptical about fixing meatloaf in a slow cooker but my oven is on the blink so I tried it using another recipe before seeing this one. It was a hit so decided to give this one a try and it's now on my rotation as well. I'm now a believer of cooking meatloaf in the slow cooker unless I'm rushed for time.This is a good recipe as is but I changed the glaze to one I always use. I start with chili sauce but mix in a little ketchup and brown sugar and finish by placing the loaf under the broiler for a minute or two for the best results.
Feb 14, 2015
I really like this and it made great sandwiches too!
Feb 8, 2015
This is a great recipe! I can't believe I've lived in the southwest all my life and never thought of doing this! I'm not very fond of commercial chili sauces (often made with and tasting very much like vinegar), so I used prepared red chile from Bueno Foods instead. The result was perfect and delicious! Definitely going to become a go-to slow cooker recipe in my house!
Jan 26, 2015
This was good. Easy enough. Stayed moist. I baked mine in the oven as I was short on time but the chili sauce gave it a nice twang.
Jan 10, 2015
What is Chili Sauce? Is there a favorite kind you use?