Bread Bowl Chili
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 12 hard rolls (about 4-1/2 inches), optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, chili powder and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls or if desired, cut the top fourth off of each roll; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread. Spoon chili into bread bowls. Serve with cubed bread,
- shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and sour cream if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 292 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 778mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
May 28, 2012
This has become a family favorite. I make it at least once a month in the winter and often double the receipe. We only use bread bowls on special occasions, but the chili can stand on it's own as a meal.
Oct 31, 2010
This chili is a hit everytime we make it. All the guys love it. It is thick, full of flavor and "very yummy", as my boyfriend would say. Easy to make too. To make it more spicy but still smooth we added a green pepper, and used cans of diced tomatoes with green chillies, and chipole chili pepper.
Nov 2, 2009
Easy & yummy! We skipped the bread part and served with corn muffins. Delicious!~ Theresa
Oct 25, 2008
i love to add corn to my chili. it revs up the vegitable factor. fresh off the cob is best but canned or frozen works well too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.