Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute green pepper, onions and celery in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until browned; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add kidney beans. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes longer. If desired, serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 259 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein.
Nov 29, 2017
My family loved this recipe! It's flavorful, but not too spicy. I loved the additional of the Worcestershire sauce, which added a nice depth of flavor.
Mar 19, 2017
This is a very good base recipe. Chili is one dish where there is a lot of personal preference. I halved the recipe, but used the full amount of tomato sauce, water and beans and it was exactly how my family liked it.
Nov 12, 2014
So far, it is very bland, and oregano taste isn't pleasing. Will have to doctor up with a little zip,
Apr 22, 2014
Very good, mild chili!I like the fact that I have all the ingredients on hand so I don't have to go to alot of expense for special ingredients. Froze the leftovers and they were just as good the second time when I used it for chili dogs.
Nov 17, 2013
Awesome recipe! I love it. So easy to make. I used meatloaf mix in place of ground beef and cut the chili powder down to 1 teaspoon which gave it a nice hint of heat.
Aug 24, 2011
My family and I truly enjoy this recipe!! The flavors are fantastic and the amount of chili powder that you use is up to you!! I like chunky chili with plenty of onions and I found the perfect recipe!! I always make this with sweet corn bread and sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top! :) YUM
Feb 26, 2011
This was a good, filling chili, however it had far too much diced tomato. When I make it again I will use less tomato. Also, I did use beef broth instead of the water, which I am sure helped, but it could still you a tad more flavor. I will try modifying the seasonings. Overall tho I liked the consistency and it was easy.
Apr 21, 2010
this chili turned out great! I did tweak the recipe a little bit, but this is the recipe I will use when I want some good chili.
Dec 2, 2009
I am always trying new recipes. My husband loved it!! Said it was the best chili has had in a LONG time. The only thing I would do is add a little somthing to make the sauce thicker - tomatoe paste??
Oct 20, 2008
2 tsp. garlic powderbeef broth instead of water3-19 oz cans of ital.stew.tom.1-14 0z can of tom.sauce33 oz. kidney beanscook 9 hrs. on low in slow cooker.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.