Chili with Cornbread Topping
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup cornbread/muffin mix
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons beaten Eggland's Best egg
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour into two 2-cup baking dishes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornbread mix, milk and egg. Stir in cheese and corn just until combined. Spread batter evenly over chili.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 657 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1714mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 9g fiber), 41g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 8, 2017
I used my homemade chili for this, everyone loved it!
Jan 25, 2015
I haven't tried it yet, but it gIves me a great idea about how to do the cornbread topping. I use the chili made from the packet. Warning. The original is spicey
Dec 28, 2014
The recipe called for chili beans with tomatoes, or no tomatoes... So I subbed tomato sauce... Good recipe, could use a little updating. Just substitute where you can.