Chili-Rubbed Steak & Bread Salad
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing Grill: 15 min.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1-1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups cubed multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup ranch salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons finely grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Mix chili powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper; rub over steak. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss bread cubes with oil. In a large skillet, toast bread over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, whisk salad dressing, horseradish and mustard.
- Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion and toasted bread. Add 1/2 cup dressing mixture; toss to coat. Slice steak; serve with salad and remaining dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 434 calories, 30g fat (6g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Sep 2, 2013
This was a big hit, a definite do-over. It made a lot of dressing. The 1/2 cup was plenty on the salad. Would considering halving next time. Used herb garlic focaccia I had on hand. I did use 2 tbsp. of prepared horseradish instead of fresh grated. Did anyone use fresh? I was wondering how that turned out as I usually do not use fresh.
Jul 20, 2013
I subbed Caesar dressing for the ranch dressing (didn't have ranch)This was very tasty!
Jun 25, 2013
We loved this! Made it tonight for dinner & we enjoyed the combination of ingredients that created a salad without lettuce.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.