Chili-Rubbed Steak & Bread Salad
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing Grill: 15 min.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1-1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups cubed multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup ranch salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons finely grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Mix chili powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper; rub over steak. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss bread cubes with oil. In a large skillet, toast bread over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, whisk salad dressing, horseradish and mustard.
- Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion and toasted bread. Add 1/2 cup dressing mixture; toss to coat. Slice steak; serve with salad and remaining dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 434 calories, 30g fat (6g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 2, 2013
This was a big hit, a definite do-over. It made a lot of dressing. The 1/2 cup was plenty on the salad. Would considering halving next time. Used herb garlic focaccia I had on hand. I did use 2 tbsp. of prepared horseradish instead of fresh grated. Did anyone use fresh? I was wondering how that turned out as I usually do not use fresh.
Jul 20, 2013
I subbed Caesar dressing for the ranch dressing (didn't have ranch)This was very tasty!
Jun 25, 2013
We loved this! Made it tonight for dinner & we enjoyed the combination of ingredients that created a salad without lettuce.