Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes6-8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cook the beef, onion and green pepper in drippings over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; add the remaining ingredients. Stir in bacon; mix well.
- Transfer to an ovenproof Dutch oven or greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until thick and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 321 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 811mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 29, 2011
This was easy and very tasty. I used ROTEL diced tomatoes with Chili's instead of the diced tomatoes, and I served it over white rice and put shredded Colby Jack cheese over it. The three of us ate all of it except for a portion to pack for lunch for the hubby. We all liked it.