Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes6-8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cook the beef, onion and green pepper in drippings over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; add the remaining ingredients. Stir in bacon; mix well.
- Transfer to an ovenproof Dutch oven or greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until thick and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 321 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 811mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Jan 29, 2011
This was easy and very tasty. I used ROTEL diced tomatoes with Chili's instead of the diced tomatoes, and I served it over white rice and put shredded Colby Jack cheese over it. The three of us ate all of it except for a portion to pack for lunch for the hubby. We all liked it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.