Ham and Bean Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (8 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water, optional
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook the ham, onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes, beans, picante sauce, tomato sauce and water if desired. Bring to a boil. Stir in the olives, bouillon, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 214 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 1242mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 13g protein.
Feb 12, 2014
I thought this was too salty. I did omit the olives and used salsa instead of picante sauce. Maybe it was the ham but didn't much like it. I even put sour cream on it to tone it down but didn't work
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.