Ham and Bean Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (8 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water, optional
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook the ham, onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes, beans, picante sauce, tomato sauce and water if desired. Bring to a boil. Stir in the olives, bouillon, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 214 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 1242mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 12, 2014
I thought this was too salty. I did omit the olives and used salsa instead of picante sauce. Maybe it was the ham but didn't much like it. I even put sour cream on it to tone it down but didn't work