Chili Cornbread Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch rubbed sage
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions. Stir in chiles, cumin, oregano and sage. Spread in a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and dressing mix; set aside. Crumble half of the cornbread into a 13x9-in. dish. Layer with half of the beans, mayonnaise mixture, corn, tomatoes, green pepper, onions, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers (dish will be very full). Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 383 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Jul 7, 2019
I have a question? Does the cornbread get soggy? TY
Jun 19, 2019
Very Good. Served to WineTimers and was a little disappointed. We actually liked it better warmed in the microwave.
Apr 22, 2019
vickijeffery it only calls for 1 box of cornbread muffin mix.
Apr 18, 2019
Does this recipe really take 3 boxes of cornbread/muffin mix ???????
Mar 11, 2019
This recipe is amazing! I was looking for a new recipe for our church potlucks, when I came across this one, I was not sure how it would be with the combination of so many ingredients, but wanted a dish that would feed a crowd. I made it the night before and brought it for the potluck the following day, I had an empty dish and many people commented how wonderful the salad was and many asked for the recipe. Will definitely be making again for another gathering in the future. Thanks so much for sharing!
Dec 18, 2018
Made this over the summer for a family reunion and it was great. I like the idea of using it as a dip!
Nov 21, 2018
I was introduced to this recipe about 10 years ago. Everytime I make it is a hit! Be sure to try it as a dip! My family loves to eat it with a scoopable chip at every holiday gathering! Another great way to enjoy this amazing recipe!
Sep 28, 2018
I've made many cornbread salads and this is a really good one! The only thing I did differently was to prepare the ranch dressing with mayo and milk instead of mayo and sour cream because I wanted a thinner dressing. We loved the green chiles and peppers in this one. This didn't last long in my house! Will absolutely make again!
Jun 30, 2018
Made this for Church potluck, thinking I would be bringing alot home, Wrong, didnt have leftovers and was requested to bring again, which I did. Will be making this often, good during warm weather.
Jun 25, 2018
This is the best cornbread salad I have ever eaten! I make it quite often and share it with my daughter and my neighbor. I add more mayo and sour cream because I have difficulty swallowing. My daughter and my neighbor both like it on Tortilla chips. They never refer to it as a salad, to them it is a dip.