Chili Cornbread Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch rubbed sage
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions. Stir in chiles, cumin, oregano and sage. Spread in a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and dressing mix; set aside. Crumble half of the cornbread into a 13x9-in. dish. Layer with half of the beans, mayonnaise mixture, corn, tomatoes, green pepper, onions, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers (dish will be very full). Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 383 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2018
I was introduced to this recipe about 10 years ago. Everytime I make it is a hit! Be sure to try it as a dip! My family loves to eat it with a scoopable chip at every holiday gathering! Another great way to enjoy this amazing recipe!
Sep 28, 2018
I've made many cornbread salads and this is a really good one! The only thing I did differently was to prepare the ranch dressing with mayo and milk instead of mayo and sour cream because I wanted a thinner dressing. We loved the green chiles and peppers in this one. This didn't last long in my house! Will absolutely make again!
Jun 30, 2018
Made this for Church potluck, thinking I would be bringing alot home, Wrong, didnt have leftovers and was requested to bring again, which I did. Will be making this often, good during warm weather.
Jun 25, 2018
This is the best cornbread salad I have ever eaten! I make it quite often and share it with my daughter and my neighbor. I add more mayo and sour cream because I have difficulty swallowing. My daughter and my neighbor both like it on Tortilla chips. They never refer to it as a salad, to them it is a dip.
Feb 24, 2018
This is the best cornbread salad I've tried yet. To make it a little more spicy I used half cheddar and half grated pepper jack. Also waited to serve it to crumble crisp bacon on top so it wouldn't get soggy. We just loved it!!
Dec 31, 2017
Loved by all I shared it with, great to bring to picnics and parties.
Sep 4, 2017
This was one of our new favorite dishes. I made it exactly as instructed and it was delicious. Next time I might make a little extra of the sour cream mixture or have a jar of salsa along side. It was just a little dry but the cornbread really made this dish special.
Sep 2, 2017
Did not use the bacon in order to make it vegetarian. Received rave reviews. A good option for potlucks.
Aug 20, 2017
Excellent!!! Followed the recipe exactly, would not change a thing. The whole family loved it, will be making again and again.
Aug 19, 2017
This sounds like something my family would like. I will try this when I get home.