Hearty Slow-Cooker Chili
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes10 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- Optional toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Working in batches if necessary, cook beef in the same skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes, breaking meat into crumbles. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomatoes, tomato sauce, chiles, parsley and seasonings into beef mixture. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours to allow flavors to blend. Serve with rice and toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice and toppings): 278 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 863mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Sep 25, 2019
Loved this easy and tasty chili! I always make chili in my dutch oven, but was excited to try a slow cooker version on what was becoming a very busy day. Worked out great! I used crushed tomatoes instead of stewed and used tomato paste and water instead of the tomato sauce. Also increased the garlic cloves to five because we're garlic lovers! All in all this is a really good recipe and one I will definitely make again. You can customize the heat to your family's taste. We loved it with shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips!
Jan 28, 2018
ok but there is only two of us so how do I break this down.. Please let me know