Hearty Slow-Cooker Chili
When it’s time to build my zesty chili, I combine everything the night before. In the morning, I load the slow cooker and let it do the work. —Molly Butt, Granville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes10 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- Optional toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Working in batches if necessary, cook beef in the same skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes, breaking meat into crumbles. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomatoes, tomato sauce, chiles, parsley and seasonings into beef mixture. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours to allow flavors to blend. Serve with rice and toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice and toppings): 278 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 863mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as No-Bean Chili in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.