Slow-Cooker Quinoa Chili
This is the recipe that turned my husband into a quinoa lover. I made it the day my husband got good news on a new job, and we'll always remember how excited we were as we ate this beautiful meal. —Claire Gallam, Alexandria, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes10 servings (about 3-3/4 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons onion soup mix
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped avocado, chopped red onion, sliced jalapeno, sour cream and cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Transfer mixture to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add next 11 ingredients; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until quinoa is tender.
- Serve with optional toppings as desired.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 318 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Quinoa Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018