Gyro Meat Loaf with Tzatziki Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground lamb or beef
- 1 cup refrigerated tzatziki sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble lamb over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 55-60 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with tzatziki sauce.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaf; reheat on a greased shallow baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 2 tablespoons sauce: 354 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 472mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Oct 21, 2014
I will preface this by saying I do not like meat loaf. This one though is absolutely delicious! I made this tonight and it was a hit. I did half lamb and half beef. Everything else was by the recipe. I used Alton Browns Tzatziki sauce recipe since I couldn't find refrigerated version.
Mar 14, 2013
This is delicious & satisfies the craving for gyros. I've made it twice in the past 2 weeks. I used ground turkey in place of the lamb. I like that there's spinach hiding in it, but you can't taste it.
Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for including your recipe for the Tzatziki Sauce using plain Greek yogurt. This is great for a guilt-free way to really slather on the sauce!
Apr 9, 2012
This now is my favorite meatloaf recipe! It's absolutely delicious! I think I might make my own tzatziki sauce next time using Greek plain low-fat yogurt. As a Pacific NW transplant, I miss all the wonderful Greek food of the Chicago area. I can make this whenever I get a hankering for the flavor!
Mar 25, 2012
This was quick & easy. I used ground chicken instead of beef/lamb.
Mar 12, 2012
I had this meatloaf today and it was excellent. However I made my own Tzatziki sauce with 8 ozs Greek yogurt, small cucumber, 2 crushed garlic cloves, pinch salt, 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp red wine vinegar and 1/4 tsp mint and it was all very delicious and will make it again.
Feb 3, 2012
I really enjoyed this meatloaf! I used 1 lb. ground beef and 1 lb. ground lamb. I served it with cucumbers and pita/hummus on the side. I will definitely make it again!
Jan 31, 2012
This was good, but it tasted NOTHING like a Gyro. I served it with onion and lemon rice pilaf and glazed carrots.
Jan 31, 2012
Definitely a keeper.
Jan 29, 2012
This meat loaf was awsome! I love lamb and spinach and this was a great comfort food for a chilly Sunday dinner! Even my husband who dispises spinach enjoyed it!