Greek Pasta Bake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- In a large skillet, cook beef and lamb over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the onion, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and thyme. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions; drain. Stir into meat mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 316 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Jul 8, 2019
So I did that annoying thing where I broke a lot of rules...but it still turned out great. Here's what I changed: 1) Used all beef b/c my family doesn't like lamb 2) Added about 3/4 of a cup of chopped kalamata olives -- that was my husband's favorite part 3) I used two jars of leftover spaghetti sauce a little water to get it to the amount of liquid the recipe calls for 4) I shortened the cook time on the sauce b/c I didn't have time...I think the thicker spaghetti sauce helped with that and I also left the pasta little al dente before putting in the oven. It was the perfect amount of doneness at the end. 5) sprinkled with fresh herbs right before serving IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!
Feb 15, 2019
Used all beef. Had large shell pasta in cupboard so used that. Family loved it. Takes a full 1 1/2 hours. Start early.
Jan 7, 2019
Gad this looks great as well, love tubular pastas. Love the idea of [email protected] If I have any lamb (or it goes on sale) I will use it otherwise my substitution will be ground pork for the lamb part as I always have pork of all kinds. Can’t wait to make this, hummm think maybe tonight as it’s frizzle-a-ting outside
Dec 8, 2018
This came out delicious even though I couldn't get the lamb so I used all ground beef and due to time constraints, had to bypass baking it but it came out great!
Feb 24, 2017
Super easy to make
Jul 6, 2012
I LOVE greek food! I LOVED this recipe for something different to eat. It almost tasted like a gyro with pasta. Now my husband wants lamb all the time!!
Jan 24, 2011
Can this be frozen like a OAMC recipe?
Sep 26, 2010
This is one of my favorite dinners and the leftovers are good too!
Aug 27, 2010
Three of four kids loved it. Easy to make, I already had the ingredients on hand (I subbed ground beef for the lamb, making it a whole pound). Not too difficult for a weeknight and smelled delicious!
Apr 15, 2010
Just made this and we loved it. I baked it at 350 and cut the time down a little. I used whole wheat penne. Loved the cinnamon taste. We sprinkled it with parmesan. It was yummy.