Five-Cheese Macaroni with Prosciutto Bits
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 5 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in wine. Add cream, pepper and salt; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add goat cheese; stir gently until melted. Gradually stir in the remaining cheeses; cook until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, cook prosciutto over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Sprinkle over macaroni just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 667 calories, 48g fat (30g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 12, 2018
Yummy cheese-will try to get it from a large restaurant.-love and loads of thanks for recipe
Apr 5, 2015
Love this recipe. I used 1 1/2 pounds of macaroni and stirred prosciutto in a little and on top. Also, stirred the panko with some melted butter before topping. It made the panko nice and golden brown with nice texture. Will definitely make this again.
Jan 16, 2013
This was absolutely delicious - decadent and has lots of depth! I added a little fresh nutmeg and red pepper flakes in with the salt and pepper to the cream. Check out our review here: http://onecoupleskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/01/5-cheese-macaroni-with-crispy-prosciutto.html#
Nov 26, 2012
A good recipe but I ended up doubling the amount of pasta because it was just way too much for that little amount. Also the prosciutto was a nice touch but the kids said it would have been better if I had mixed it in and had more. I think I would rather use crushed crackers for the topping instead of bread crumbs. Oh and unless you have tried smoked Gouda, go with a normal one.
Oct 4, 2012
It was yummy, but I would probably make it next time with 2% milk and a little more flour so I could get an equally thick sauce with WAY fewer calories. Also, I used bacon instead of prosciutto. To me, prosciutto is one of those luxury items that costs more but doesn't really taste significantly different (another pet peeve is shallots -- they are really just overpriced onions!). I would be interested to see nutrition facts on this recipe. I'm sure there are more calories than I'd like to know, but it would still be helpful for me in portion control at least.
Oct 4, 2012
It was yummy, but I would probably make it next time with 2% milk and a little more flour so I could get an equally thick sauce with WAY fewer calories. Also, I used bacon instead of prosciutto. To me, prosciutto is one of those luxury items that costs more but doesn't really taste significantly different. I would be interested to see nutrition facts on this recipe. I'm sure there are more calories than I'd like to know, but it would still be helpful for me in portion control at least.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.