Jalapeno-Bacon Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips (about 7 strips), cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and mustard. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in jalapenos and 3 cups cheese until cheese is melted.
- Reserve 1/4 cup crumbled bacon; stir remaining bacon into sauce.
- Drain macaroni and return to pot; stir in cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese and reserved bacon. Bake, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 636 calories, 34g fat (20g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 759mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Mar 9, 2016
Best mac and cheese recipe I've ever tried. I've been on the hunt for one I really love for years and this one is a keeper. It is so creamy and is great reheated as well. I was worried that the leftovers would become dry but they didn't.
Dec 27, 2014
Here in Texas, everything is better with jalape?os and bacon. Great idea to add to ordinary mac & cheese. I substituted precooked bacon crumbles from Costco for the bacon strips. Just microwave briefly to crisp, then stir in. 4 stars instead of 5 because was really dry - probably because 'made it to take' a couple of hours before baking. I would recommend baking immediately or, if making a few hours ahead, save 1/2-1 cup of pasta water to stir into sauce since the macaroni will absorb more liquid before baking. Man-pleasing - even for breakfast the next morning (what can I say?)
Dec 27, 2014
I cut this recipe in half and baked it in a 8 by 8 glass baking dish. My husband thought the pickled jalape?os overpowered the dish.
Nov 12, 2014
I love this macaroni and cheese- very tasty! And what a good looking cook.