Country Bacon-Beef Mac and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 5 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups uncooked protein-enriched or whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until crisp, 5-6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of drippings. Brown ground beef in drippings; remove from pan. Add onion to skillet; cook and stir until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
- Combine red pepper, carrot, seasonings and pasta in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Layer with ground beef, bacon and onion mixture (do not stir). Pour in broth.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Thirty minutes before serving, stir in sour cream and cheeses.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 591 calories, 36g fat (17g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 719mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein.
Sep 14, 2019
Made this tonight and was very disappointed. Didn’t look anything like the picture. Macaroni wasn’t done in one hour time. Even gave it extra time. We ate one serving of it and threw the rest in the trash. It turned out kind of like slop.
Sep 1, 2019
@Lois The ingredients list elbows on the top right column. Step 2 says to combine the "pasta" with other ingredients in the slow cooker. The information is there. We'll give this a go once the weather cools down.
Sep 1, 2019
Lois - it’s in step 2, read it again
Aug 29, 2019
Where is the macaroni? When and how does tat get added. Doesn’t anyone review the recipes before they are posted?