Country Bacon-Beef Mac and Cheese
Wow. Meaty slow cooker mac and cheese is easy to make, very tasty and kids love it! —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 5 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups uncooked protein plus or whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until crisp, 5-6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of drippings. Brown ground beef in drippings; remove from pan. Add onion to skillet; cook and stir until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
- Combine red pepper, carrot, seasonings and pasta in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Layer with ground beef, bacon and onion mixture (do not stir). Pour in broth.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Thirty minutes before serving, stir in sour cream and cheeses.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 591 calories, 36g fat (17g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 719mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein.
Originally published as Country Bacon-Beef Mac & Cheese in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.