Chili Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes12 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 2-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 banana pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion and peppers over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain. Transfer to a 7-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, beans, chili powder and cumin. Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 5-6 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Add to slow cooker. Stir in cheese until melted. If desired, serve with sour cream and additional cheese.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 447 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 1, 2018
Flavorful, easy to make, and definitely worth making again. I cut it in half, omitted the banana pepper (only because I didn't have one), and added a bit more chili powder. A keeper.
Oct 30, 2018
I love this chilli!
Oct 29, 2018