Chili Cheese Soup
To cut down on last minute preparation, Kyle Gray chops the vegetables from this rich soup the night before and stores them in the fridge. "It has become one of our favorite comfort foods," notes the Glendale, Arizona cook.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 jar (16 ounces) process cheese sauce
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and carrots in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, mustard, paprika and Worcestershire sauce until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in chilies and Liquid Smoke if desired. Stir in cheese sauce until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 294 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1107mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Chili Cheese Soup in Quick Cooking November/December 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.