Barley Chicken Chili
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes9 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the water, tomato sauce, broth, tomatoes, barley, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes longer or until barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 197 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 very lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Oct 6, 2014
I don't like beans so this recipe is a great alternative to regular chili. I really like how the flavors blend in this recipe. I have made this a few times & follow the recipe as given with no complaints. This is great to have on a crisp fall or winter day.
Oct 16, 2013
Right, I did make a few changes - added no water, fresh tomatoes not tinned, a fresh chilli, crushed fresh garlic, a few chopped jalapeños and used about two cups of rice instead of barley. Cooked in pressure cooker - cooked the chicken, onions and garlic etc in the stock, then added the rest of stuff, put the lid on for about 15 minutes. , ended up with a spicy rice dish that was spicy but not hot. Would def make again, even try it how it was meant to be as a stew!
Apr 7, 2010
We enjoyed this a lot even though I made it in the crockpot and used regular barley.
Nov 12, 2009
This was such a nice change from the norm - and gobbled right up and my guest asking to take some home. Easy to make and rave reviews!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.