Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound cubed or coarsely ground bison meat
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 2 cups diced onion
- 1 to 2 cups diced green pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (16 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; drain. Add onion and green pepper; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 271 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 14, 2015
My favorite chili recipe. <3
Sep 3, 2010
It has been a while since I made this but I remember only changing/adding a couple of things like leaving the green chilies out because I have young children. I remember it being very hearty, filling and tasty and the family enjoyed it! Yes, I'd make it again!