Beef Brisket Chili
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min. + simmering
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 fresh beef brisket (2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef and onion in oil in batches; drain. Stir in the beans, kielbasa, salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, garlic and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is tender. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and zest.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 404 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1309mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.
Apr 12, 2020
Itand#039;s not chili if it has beans thatand#039;s called stew
Aug 26, 2019
Very tasty! I also omitted the sausage for healthier version but it was very easy and great consistency. I let it go in the slow cooker all day.
Jun 28, 2012
Amazing, made as directed, but omitted the sausage to up the healthy quotient a bit. My version comes up to about 300 calories/cup. Love it, and will definitely make again!