Beef Brisket Chili
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min. + simmering
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 fresh beef brisket (2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef and onion in oil in batches; drain. Stir in the beans, kielbasa, salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, garlic and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is tender. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and zest.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 404 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1309mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 28, 2012
Amazing, made as directed, but omitted the sausage to up the healthy quotient a bit. My version comes up to about 300 calories/cup. Love it, and will definitely make again!