Chili for a Crowd
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes24 servings (6 quarts)
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans or 4 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, sliced and halved
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 fresh banana peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In an 8-qt. kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 207 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 14, 2019
The absolute best and easiest to make recipe for chili I have ever tried. It is now my most requested recipe!
Jul 5, 2016
Great recipe. Tried it when needing to cook for a large group of college students. Varied it up by subbing salami for kielbasa, pre-cooked soy beans for canned kidney beans, a pint of stout beer for water, doubled the coffee, tripled the cayenne pepper and added 1 heaping tbsp chili powder in place of pepper flakes. Turned out sweeter than I expected but it was enjoyed by all.Only recommendation would be to change serving size. For a group of college kids I'd say this'd feed maybe 10-15 comfortably. Adding loaves of bread on the side, 1.5x this recipe should be enough for 20 people. Still, great recipe, thanks Lisa!
Nov 19, 2015
I looked for a chili recipe for a large crowd and found this one. Made it for a group of 32 men. I received very good compliments on this chili, so it is definitely a keeper.I doubled the recipe for this group and it wasn't quite enough. Guys like "seconds" and though several guys got seconds, more would have had there been more chili. The serving size of 1 cup is too small, in my opinion. It takes 2 cups to have a nice bowlful.We enjoyed this recipe just as it is and will make it again, but next time will be more careful to make enough. Thanks Lisa for sharing this recipe.
Feb 5, 2015
Made this recipe for an open house over a year ago....We are hosting another one and people are asking if I'll be making that chili again. Definately a keeper and more then enough to go around!
Jan 18, 2011
I made this recipe with a few of my own additions and won first place in a chli contest! It has so many layers of flavor, you won't ever get tired of eating this chili.