Barbecued Beef Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (3 qt.)
- 7 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Optional toppings: Kerrygold Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped white onion and sliced jalapeno peppers
- Combine the first 5 ingredients; rub over brisket. Cut into 8 pieces; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the green pepper, onion, chili sauce, ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; pour over meat. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Meanwhile, skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat with 2 forks; return to slow cooker. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the beans. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until heated through. If desired, top with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped white onion and sliced jalapenos.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 302 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1037mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Mar 18, 2018
I won a chili cook-off with this recipe! I used 3.5 lbs of brisket. Slow cooked it on high for 5 hours. Shredded the meat, skimmed the fat, added the beans, and put it in the refrigerator for 2 days. This part is key! Flavors will develop while it sits. The morning of the cook-off I took the rest of the solidified fat off the top. Set the slow cooker to low and added one square of unsweetened chocolate. Let it heat up and the chocolate melt. Carefully stirred it up as to not shred the brisket too much. It's a winner!
Mar 9, 2014
Excellent taste. I have made this several times with multiple requests for more
Dec 9, 2013
My family loved this! I made a couple adjustments. The brisket was a little too pricey for our budget, so I decided to try it with 2 lbs. of ground beef. Also, I only used 4 teaspoons of chili powder so it wasn't so spicy for my little one. We all loved it! Next time I might try a beef roast and shred it in place of the brisket. Highly recommended!
Jun 25, 2012
Apr 20, 2011
Very good chili!! Excellent with cornbread. Thanks for the recipe!
Jan 28, 2011
Wow is this spicy!!!! I can't serve it to my kids but my husband is going to love it. Very Tangy too yum!
Oct 3, 2010
I did not like this at all. I ate maybe three bites and threw it all out. Way too intense flavor for me; but it's obvious by the comments that most people loved it.
Dec 9, 2009
This is a nice change to chili! I love the tangy BBQ flavor. Great with cornbread! It can be thickend a little with flour and served on a roll or bun. This is a keeper! YES! I'll be making it again! :-)
Oct 19, 2009
Perfect choice of meat, well rounded rub,just enough flavor's and ingredients to make a great sit down meal. If you have time try smokeing the meat for a few hour's and then follow recipe to the letter and you will be glad you took the time to make this A1+ chili. Eather way very excellent!!
Sep 24, 2009
meh, its okay. too..intense i suppose. Seemed like too much spices or something