Beef and Lentil Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- In a Dutch oven, cook ground beef and onion, crumbling meat, over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add next five ingredients; bring to a boil. Add lentils and water. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are soft, about 1 hour, stirring often. Add water if mixture seems too dry.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 367 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 655mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Sep 10, 2019
I love this chili..... it is very hearty and my family loved it. I would make this again and again in the cold months to come. Thanks Taste of Home.
Jan 28, 2019
First time cooking with lentils, and loved this recipe. Has a slightly different flavor, and I'll definitely make it again.