Beef and Lentil Chili
Lentils were one of the crops on my Dad's farm when we were growing up, and they're the best-kept secret in this delicious chili recipe. This dish is great for a large family meal and also freezes well. Everyone who asks for this recipe is amazed at how simple it is. —Cindy Agee, Lewiston, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- In a Dutch oven, cook ground beef and onion, crumbling meat, over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add next five ingredients; bring to a boil. Add lentils and water. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are soft, about 1 hour, stirring often. Add water if mixture seems too dry.
Test Kitchen Tips
Serve this on top of Indian Tacos, or with fresh onions, grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream. If you want a little more heat, add some cayenne powder
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 367 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 655mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Lentil Chili in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.