Thick & Chunky Beef Chili
Hearty, flavorful ingredients and a thick, rich sauce make this a satisfying chili that's sure to win compliments on your cooking. It's a great way to serve a crowd during the big game or to warm up on a chilly evening. Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 12 ounces center-cut bacon, diced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder, optional
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings.
- Brown beef in drippings. Add onion; cook until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Return bacon to pan. Stir in the next 12 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
- Add beans and heat through. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 369 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1001mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Sally's West Coast Chili in Healthy Cooking Recipe Cards 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.