Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (about 4 quarts)
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, minced fresh cilantro, sour cream, sliced jalapeno or fresno peppers and additional salsa verde, optional
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, salsa verde and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish each serving with cheese, cilantro and additional salsa verde.
Freeze option: Before adding toppings, cool chili. Freeze chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 334 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1030mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 32g protein.
Nov 4, 2019
WORSE Chili I have ever made, wasted all that stew beef followed directions exactly added jalepeno peppers to it and all you can taste is tomatoes. Way to acidic too tomatoey won't make it again.
Jan 22, 2019
I love the heat in this chili! Great mix of textures and flavors.
Oct 31, 2014
Made this for a food day at the school where I teach, evidently everyone loved it! I eat last lunch, so I didn't even get any! :( Will definitely have to make again so I get some!
Sep 12, 2014
I loved it. My husband said it is like a meal on its own.really really good.
Feb 18, 2014
I love the real meat in this recipe! Much heartier than ground beef.
Apr 28, 2013
This recipe was delicious. I used fresh garlic and onion. I also added the onion with the garlic to the skillet before putting everything in the crockpot. I added extra cayenne pepper for extra kick. I used beef braised ribs which was great!
Dec 23, 2012
Very easy and taste great
Nov 30, 2012
The best.. Making it for my son wrestling chili cook off..
May 13, 2012
What a great recipe I make this all the time quick and easy and the kids love it. And my favorite part is you can make it as spicy as you want and it still taste great.
Feb 24, 2012
LOved it and very simple to make