Hearty Tex-Mex Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup V8 juice
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 envelopes chili seasoning
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, juice, coffee and chili seasoning.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours to allow flavors to blend.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1115mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein.
Oct 8, 2019
It is clear the editor who added this recipe and the author who wrote it using Texas in the name are NOT AT ALL from Texas. This does not belong in any Texas recipe collection; you SHOULD know.
Oct 8, 2019
Texas chili does not have beans in it. Must not be a true Texan. Otherwise chili is just so so!
Apr 4, 2019
There are no beans in Texas chili.
Nov 8, 2015
Great base chili! I made alterations to make it healthier and it was superb! I added 1 chopped zucchini, 3 thinly slices carrots, reduced meat to 1lb and taco seasoning to 1 tablespoon. My husband, the meat lover raved over it (and didn't even mind the veggies).
Oct 21, 2015
This is my families favorite chili recipe. DELICIOUS!
Mar 2, 2014
This is pretty good. I didn't have the packets of chili seasoning so I created my own. Tasted delicious with a little cheese sprinkled on top and a dollop of sour cream.
Feb 21, 2014
I made a few modifications and LOVED it, literally the best chili I have ever had. I used 2.25 lbs of ground beef, added 3 leftover corn cobs (corn cut off the cob), and some jalapeños for heat.
Sep 11, 2013
I absolutely love this chili. When I make this again I have to leave out the diced tomatoes because of my picky husband. He said he liked it except for the tomatoes.
Nov 8, 2012
Delicious! Thats all I have to say, unless a thanks to Martha & TOH! Carolyn
Oct 20, 2012
This recipe wasn't spicey enough. I guess we like chili that has zing to it! We each had a bowl of it and I threw out the rest. It wasn't worth eating.