Hearty Tex-Mex Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup V8 juice
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 envelopes chili seasoning
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, juice, coffee and chili seasoning.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours to allow flavors to blend.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1115mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 8, 2015
Great base chili! I made alterations to make it healthier and it was superb! I added 1 chopped zucchini, 3 thinly slices carrots, reduced meat to 1lb and taco seasoning to 1 tablespoon. My husband, the meat lover raved over it (and didn't even mind the veggies).
Oct 21, 2015
This is my families favorite chili recipe. DELICIOUS!
Mar 2, 2014
This is pretty good. I didn't have the packets of chili seasoning so I created my own. Tasted delicious with a little cheese sprinkled on top and a dollop of sour cream.
Feb 21, 2014
I made a few modifications and LOVED it, literally the best chili I have ever had. I used 2.25 lbs of ground beef, added 3 leftover corn cobs (corn cut off the cob), and some jalapeños for heat.
Sep 11, 2013
I absolutely love this chili. When I make this again I have to leave out the diced tomatoes because of my picky husband. He said he liked it except for the tomatoes.
Nov 8, 2012
Delicious! Thats all I have to say, unless a thanks to Martha & TOH! Carolyn
Oct 20, 2012
This recipe wasn't spicey enough. I guess we like chili that has zing to it! We each had a bowl of it and I threw out the rest. It wasn't worth eating.
Feb 5, 2012
I recently made this for co-workers, was told I can make it anytime I wanted. I couldn't find the ranch style beans, so I improvised by using a can of pinto beans and ranch salad dressing.
Oct 18, 2011
This chili is hearty and warm. Even my picky kids like this recipe. I used the hot and spicy V8 instead of the regular and it was excellent.
Sep 1, 2011
I've never been a big chili fan but my husband loves it so I decided to try this recipe. It was amazing! I changed it some (beef broth instead of V8 because I hate V8) and next time I make it I will probably add less cumin, but it was wonderful!