Hearty Tex-Mex Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup V8 juice
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 envelopes chili seasoning
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, juice, coffee and chili seasoning.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours to allow flavors to blend.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1115mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein.
Nov 8, 2015
Great base chili! I made alterations to make it healthier and it was superb! I added 1 chopped zucchini, 3 thinly slices carrots, reduced meat to 1lb and taco seasoning to 1 tablespoon. My husband, the meat lover raved over it (and didn't even mind the veggies).
Oct 21, 2015
This is my families favorite chili recipe. DELICIOUS!
Mar 2, 2014
This is pretty good. I didn't have the packets of chili seasoning so I created my own. Tasted delicious with a little cheese sprinkled on top and a dollop of sour cream.
Feb 21, 2014
I made a few modifications and LOVED it, literally the best chili I have ever had. I used 2.25 lbs of ground beef, added 3 leftover corn cobs (corn cut off the cob), and some jalapeños for heat.
Sep 11, 2013
I absolutely love this chili. When I make this again I have to leave out the diced tomatoes because of my picky husband. He said he liked it except for the tomatoes.
Nov 8, 2012
Delicious! Thats all I have to say, unless a thanks to Martha & TOH! Carolyn
Oct 20, 2012
This recipe wasn't spicey enough. I guess we like chili that has zing to it! We each had a bowl of it and I threw out the rest. It wasn't worth eating.
Feb 5, 2012
I recently made this for co-workers, was told I can make it anytime I wanted. I couldn't find the ranch style beans, so I improvised by using a can of pinto beans and ranch salad dressing.
Oct 18, 2011
This chili is hearty and warm. Even my picky kids like this recipe. I used the hot and spicy V8 instead of the regular and it was excellent.
Sep 1, 2011
I've never been a big chili fan but my husband loves it so I decided to try this recipe. It was amazing! I changed it some (beef broth instead of V8 because I hate V8) and next time I make it I will probably add less cumin, but it was wonderful!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.