Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- Cherry tomatoes, fresh oregano and small chili peppers, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce and paste until blended. Add the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add lima beans; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until beans are tender. Garnish with tomatoes, oregano and peppers if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 333 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 1003mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 10g fiber), 23g protein.
Jun 24, 2017
This recipe is deliciously different with the right amount of spices. I do like the addition of lima beans, they add to the recipe!!
Jan 24, 2016
I requested this recipe from a friend to enter a chili cook-off. Like the submitter, I also won first prize in about 20 entries. Just the right amount of spice and sweet. Good for adults and kids alike. I did leave out the lima beans B Adams North Bend, OR
Aug 13, 2010
Excellent recipe. Very mild and a bit sweet which was nice for a change. I followed the recipe exactly. Will leave out the lima beans when I make it again. I didn't like the taste and texture of them as a kid and I guess I still don't.