Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (32 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef, peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato juice, beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve in Cauldron Bread Bowls (recipe below) if desired. Garnish with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 237 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1069mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 31, 2019
My daughter brought home a photocopy of this chili recipe from her home economics classes close to 20 years ago. I have been making this chili a long time and never tire of it. The only adjustments I’ve made are substituting orange or yellow pepper for green, using Better than Bullion beef base for the cubes, adding an additional can of chili beans ( white) and chopped cilantro to serve. I freeze half and take the rest to work. It is perfect on a baked potato and over brown rice and even with whole grain pasta. It has just the right amount of mild heat so you can really amp it up for those who like it hotter. So happy to have found the source of this great chili!
Nov 27, 2013
This is a great recipe! I needed more chili so I browned cut up sausage links and added 3 strips of cooked bacon. I also added drained, and washed one can each of black beans and red beans. I also used for the tomato sauce V8 juice. The entire pot of chili was gone! I also made the bread bowls and that was great too! Will use this recipe a lot!
Jan 25, 2012
Loved this chili, it will now be my chili recipe. Only change would be to add one more can of beans.
Dec 6, 2010
I was surprised by how good this chili was..everyone liked it, including the kids. It's great substituted with ground turkey, too!