Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + simmering
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 362 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 11g fiber), 31g protein.
Aug 3, 2019
This unusual blend of spices and flavors turned into an outstanding pot of chili. Served with cornbread, delicious!!
Nov 20, 2018
Tastes great! In a small crockpot I used 3/4 lb grass finished ground beef, 1 can blended diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1 can ranchero chili beans, 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion and garlic powders, 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt and ground black pepper. Used the oregano and cocoa. Very tasty.
Oct 8, 2018
This is a great recipe for a traditional chili con carne. Bonus!!! - Its quick to make and even better reheated. I increased the baking cocoa to a tablespoon as I love the way it blends with the other spices. I served cornbread and honey as a side. If its too spicy for your taste, give it a dollop of sour cream. MMMMMMgood.
Mar 23, 2018
I made this as written and it was absolutely delicious!
Mar 5, 2017
In Texas, we don't put beans in our chili : )
Oct 1, 2013
Made just like the recipe stated! Wonderful chili.......love it!
May 10, 2011
This was absolutely awesome, everyone loved it. Top it with sharp cheddar and sour cream and you are done.
Nov 15, 2010
I love this recipe
Sep 16, 2010
This is my go-to chili recipe - I LOVE it! I make a double batch in the slow cooker with lean ground turkey and freeze individual servings for later. Healthy and delish! :)