This hearty chili with sausage, beef, beans and barley is perfect for the half-time food rush. People actually cheer when they see me coming with my slow cooker! —Barbara Lento, Houston, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup hot chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons jarred roasted minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Corn chips
- Place all ingredients except cheese and chips in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until beef is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with chips.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 359 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1062mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as GAME STOPPER CHILI in Simple & Delicious February/March 2017