This hearty chili with sausage, beef, beans and barley is perfect for the half-time food rush. People actually cheer when they see me coming with my slow cooker! —Barbara Lento, Houston, Pennsylvania
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup hot chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons jarred roasted minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Corn chips
- 1. Place all ingredients except cheese and chips in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until beef is tender, 6-8 hours.
Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with chips.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
1-1/3 cups: 359 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1062mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 23g protein.
Apr 21, 2017
Delicious! I didn't have the jarred roasted minced garlic, so I just minced a few garlic cloves.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC